Sunday, August 1, 2010

Rebel Cooks Bearylicious Caramel Dumplings

Serve with cream or ice cream

Caramel Dumplings (especially for the Bears bear - you know who I mean ;-) )
1 1/4 cups self raising flour
Pinch salt
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 Tablespoon butter (or margarine)
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Sauce:
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 to 2 cups water

Dumplings:  sift flour, rub in butter, add sugar.  To milk add vanilla. Gradually mix together to form a soft dough. Don't over mix. Then roll dough into the size of walnuts.
Gradually mix together to form soft dough
Roll dough into walnut size balls







Sauce: Place all ingredients into a large saucepan, stir until boiling. Drop dough balls into simmering sauce. Cover with tightly fitting lid and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve with cream or ice cream.


Drop dough balls into simmering sauce



A handy hint: make an equal number of dumplings for everyone, otherwise fights may break out - these are totally yummy !

1 comment:

Desiree said...

Thank you for giving me this link, Sue! I'm so pleased to meet your alter-ego bear as well :)

I will let you know how my dumplings turn out once I've made them ;)